Tuesday, March 1, 2016

It is very discouraging to finish almost last in every race of a day. There is no doubt about that. Also no doubt that my speed today was slow. The conditions today were tough as usual - big 2.4 meter high fast moving waves with about 8 to 12 knots of wind. The apparent wind was all over the place - hiking or leaning out - then scooting into the boat - then back out again for every wave. Although I have spent time sailing in waves this big, this apparent wind adjustment in these conditions is not something I have mastered.

I am trying to keep in mind that my own improvement is impossible to measure against a fleet of sailors who are putting more time and money than I am into this sport.  I look around at the people I am sailing against they just look like a bunch of regular teenagers - what could they possibly know that I don't? But they aren't regular teenagers, they are the ones who started early, excelled, and are supported by their families and national sports federation, and they are able to devote more time than I am. So what do I expect? To improve faster than they do? On days like today it can feel like I have simply gotten worse at sailing over the last couple years, but it might just be that I am actually improving, just not as fast as this international crowd.

So tomorrow is another day. 2 races. The goal is first to nail 2 good starts - which means focusing on the details of the start. Second, try to focus on speed and always maintaing constant heel, perfect sail trim, and not stalling the blades. It's hard to sail head of the boat and do this at the same time of course.


Here is a link to pics from the first day:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eventosnauticosrcngc/

No comments:

Post a Comment