Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 3 - Goal is to make top 10 - Miami World Cup

After two days of racing, I am sitting in 11th place. My races have all been pretty similar: pretty good starts not too close to an end, try to keep a lane, play a few shifts, get to the windward mark in the top ten, and lose boats downwind. I am very confident with my speed and tactics upwind right now, but the downwind is the struggle. Our conditions have been full hiking, breeze 10-15 out of the east. The first day was shifty, yesterday was more consistent. The downwinds have been tough. In the light chop, and medium breeze, there is a major speed difference between the sailors with excellent technique and mediocre. I am working very hard to rock and flatten and steer and time it all with the waves, but it is an art that will take a long time to master.

Today, the breeze seems a little windier, (forecast for 13-18) and a little more right. That might mean more waves and more weeds. I plan to work hard and not be risky on the starts and upwinds, and downwind really try to find a clear lane, smooth rythm and be aware of pressure and weeds. I will also make a special effort to figure out the downwind mode before the start by giving myself enough time to sail upwind, and not be rushed on the sail back down so that I can focus on technique.

Time to get stretched and rigged up!

No comments:

Post a Comment