Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Day 5

Another beautiful day with nice wind - about 14 knots - and beautiful waves for surfing on the down winds.

I am mostly happy with my performance today except for a few key things. I got a little more conservative with my starts after our first black flag general recall, so I never had a perfect lane off the start. I capsized on the first downwind. I got my mainsheet wrapped around the end of my boom on the second downwind, which is extremely hard to undo, and you go really slow while trying to undo it. My method is to keep sailing down wind, grab the aft part of the mainsheet that goes to the knot, pull the boom in from here and flick the slack part of the mainsheet over the end of the boom. It took me a lot of tries to finally unhook it.

I struggled to find a good rhythm with the waves downwind, but by the second downwind, I think I got it. Starboard gybe with lots of upturns and downturns, rarely going straight, surfing most of the time - super fun!

2 more races tomorrow, and that is the end of the regatta and I get to fly home to leftover turkey!




No comments:

Post a Comment