Thursday, November 19, 2015

Finally we are ready to race

The practice days are funny because every sailor is on their own schedule with their coaches. Some head out early and do their own thing, but eventually there is a big international group of sailors just doing races that are run by some coaches. Usually they are 2 or 3 minute starts between two buoys and a windward-leeward finishing by rounding the left gate mark (that was the starting line). In between races everyone is milling around, there are almost as many coaches in powerboats as there are sailors.

I sailed two coach-run practices races today and then the official practice race which was run by the race committee with a real 5 minute starting sequence and the pyramid buoys we will be using during racing the rest of the week. My starts were okay, but not great and I usually had to tack out after a while and duck a few boats. I don't think my upwind speed was very good, some situations would have worked out better had I been faster, particularly right after the start. My downwind speed seems pretty fast however, and I was able to pass a few boats on the downwind legs. This has been a weakness of mine, so hopefully I can continue sailing fast downwind!



Pics from todays practice race are here:
http://www.laserradialworldchampionship.com/media-zone/

Team USA at the opening ceremonies:
Christine Neville, Erika Reineke, Haddon Hughes, Paige Railey

No comments:

Post a Comment