Thursday, February 25, 2016

What it means to compete

When you say "She's super competitive," many of us would think you are talking about a woman who is driven by a desire to win, and can't bear to lose. But I think there is more depth to the truly competitive athlete. A true competitor is the person who values what tough competition brings out in all of us - a higher level of performance - and always seeks out the toughest competition and challenges themselves. A true competitor prefers finishing second in a tight battle that raises the level of competition to an easy win.

For me, doing an Olympic Campaign is a challenge that raises the bar and gets me closer to reaching my potential. I did not finish well in the first half of the Olympic Trials (the Miami World Cup Regatta). And I am not in a position to be in the running for our country's Olympic slot, and yet here I am in the airport on the way to the Laser Radial Europeans to compete in the second half of the Olympic Trials. Many sailors wouldn't bother competing if they felt they had no chance at winning, but I feel that it is important to do my best right up until the end of my campaign. The goal was to get to the Olympics, but the goal was also, and still is, to reach my potential, or at least get as close as I can given my resources.

I have learned a ton in the last few years, and I have definitely improved, but I don't feel like I have been able to execute everything I have learned at a big event. This regatta is my chance to put it all together. If I can put together a good event with good starts and decent speed and tactics, I will really feel like I have accomplished something. If not, it will be another learning experience. I know that competitive sailing is something that will be providing learning experiences for me for many years to come, and it is something that I look forward to.

As always, when I get to Las Palmas, I will be there to compete, to try my hardest, and to enjoy the challenge of competing against the best sailors!

I will post more regular updates when I get there, so stay tuned.
-Christine


1 comment:

  1. Christine, Thanks for sharing these revealing comments about your commitment to sailing and your internal drive to compete. Will be thinking of you in Las Palmas! Sending you fair winds, Leslie

    ReplyDelete