Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cork day 3

We didn't start racing yesterday until after 2pm. All those hours sitting around on the water in the sun can really drain your energy! I managed to get a little roll tacking lesson from Luke Muller - who now sails a full rig - but is still one of the best radial sailors I know. I hope his technique (nothing unusual really) can help me develop a reliable roll tack.

Just like the day before - but a little earlier - the wind started to fill in from the south west. The sea breeze. We had three races in 8-10 knots. It was kind of shifty - I was tacking maybe 8 times a beat - which is a lot.

I had two good races and one not bad race. I changed my way of thinking a bit. My mantras for the day were "keep it simple", "go as fast and direct as you can", and "what is the fastest way around the buoys disregarding other boats?".  I have been to worried about clear lanes and clear air, and it is compounded by my natural tendency to go away from other boats. I often think "I'll just go way over here to the side and  get clear air and go really fast". In particular, the extra distance has been killing me on the down winds.

So on the down winds I focused on always taking my speed towards the mark, and sailing as direct a route as possible - doing the chiki chiki. (by the lee-down a wave - by the lee -down a wave).

It worked! And I tried to pay attention to bad air from other boats - I think I have a better understanding of how close I can be to another boat that is on my breeze. The other thing that I discovered is that often most of the boats behind you go off to a side for clear air, and it leaves an open lane right down the middle of the course. Cool. I can't wait to practice this stuff again today.

I moved up to 9th - I feel that I wasted the first half of the regatta making what should have been all single digit scores into double digits - so I am limited in how far I can move up - but that is the goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment