Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cork day 4 - Kingston, ON

A good day! So far we have had different wind every day. Yesterday the wind was out of the east - and stayed long enough for us to have 3 races. We didn't really do any hiking and I was glad I didn't wear my hiking pads.

Results:
http://www.cork.org/past-results/results2014/OCR/Radial.html

The 1st race didn't turn out so good - I think I got out of  phase on the upwinds. It seemed like there might have been a land effect on both sides of the course - the mainland on the left - and an island above the course on the right. This race I was on the wrong side at the top of both beats.

Races 2 and 3 were good - and the coolest thing was that I made big gains downwind! Light air downwind has always been the hardest for me. I have recently learned the importance of maintaining flow over my sail and pressure - but now I understand how often and how much I can take that speed toward the mark. - A lot more than I thought!

The biggest difference in my sailing yesterday was that I took the time to look around and actually observe what was happening. I made decisions based on things that I was seeing - not imagining.

I have been reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" and learning about how to find the right mental state and not over think things.  I think I am starting to figure out how it applies to sailing - Self One is the decision maker and should be cold, calculating, scientific, unemotional, observant, nonjudgmental. Self Two is the physical self that knows how to sail the boat fast and execute maneuvers without being told what to do. Getting Self One to stop worrying about Self Two and observe non-judgementally what is happening on the racecourse is hard!!!

Example: The first day of racing I was sailing downwind and Self One was telling Self Two how to do her job. Self One was saying "I know that sailing by the lee is fast - you just aren't doing right, keep trying" If Self One let Self Two sail the boat, Self One would have observed that other boats were reaching more - and going really fast. Self two might have also figured that out intuitively.

Okay - if you don't understand what I am talking about then read the book. It has been around for a long time, but it is totally relevant and not just to tennis or sailing.

Three more races today - same forecast. KISS and no OCS's

2 comments:

  1. Love that book! I came across The Inner Game of Tennis many years ago and there's a lot of great advice in there that can help with the mental aspect of many sports.

    Good luck today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I will have to read it multiple times.

    ReplyDelete