Friday, August 22, 2014

Last day of CORK OCR

I finished 7th overall and the 1st US woman - not bad! It was great to compete against the top Canadian women - Brenda Bowskill and Claire Merry who I will be racing against in Santander at the Worlds.

Very light wind for the last day - which is extremely nerve wracking. I sailed two good races out of three, and that was enough to move up into 7th place for the regatta. My focus was on nonjudgmental observation of everything that happened on the racecourse. I will take this new mindset with me to the ACC's in a week, and then to the Worlds on Sept 3rd.

I took two days after the regatta to get back to my roots and visit Chautauqua Lake - where sailing started for me. It was great to see Dave Beeson who I used to work for teaching sailing during the summer in high school.

I found this old edition of "The Laser Sailor." Can you guess what year it is from?

Thank you Erik Nickeson for bringing me to my first Laser regatta many years ago!


1 comment:

  1. That was 1998. And I sailed in the Lavallette Spring Regatta and the Orange Coffee Pot Regatta in the District 10 report in your photo, although I didn't do well enough at either regatta to get mentioned in the newsletter.

    Robert Scheidt won CORK that year and Marc Jacobi wrote a report of the District 7 Grand Prix that was all about the food with barely a mention of the sailing.

    Congratulations on doing so well at CORK. And good luck at the ACCs and the Worlds.

    ReplyDelete