Monday, September 1, 2014

Laser Atlantic Coast Championships at Sail Maine good prep for the Worlds

A great two day regatta at Sail Maine in Portland. 5 races the first day in 8-16 knots, and 2 races the second day in 0-7 knots. The conditions were sunny and beautiful.








I won the regatta with a good margin, but it was not an easy event. John Kirkpatrick who I have been practicing with all summer, Corrinne Peters from Halifax, Graham Kilvert, Connor Bayless, and Giovanni Ronco were putting the pressure on all weekend. I credit my success to a good mindset which led to good decision making. I applied what I learned at CORK, and what I have been reading in The Inner Game of Tennis.

I haven't finished the book yet, and I learn more every chapter I read. I am starting to understand how to let go of my frustrations. It seems that all my distress over bad decisions made during a race is usually a result of wanting something. This weekend I focused on seeing clearly 'what is' - no wanting allowed! - It goes hand in hand with awareness and 'head out of the boat' sailing. I am excited about this revelation because I think it will help my consistency in big regattas. - If I can stay in that frame of mind.  It was awesome to practice this mind set right before leaving for the Worlds. I know that it will be much harder to stay un-emotional when I want (see that word?) to sail to the best of my ability and show everyone what I am capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment