Saturday, September 13, 2014

Worlds Santander day 2

Today was tough. Once again I found myself playing catchup in both races soon after the start. Needless to say it is impossible to "catch up" when all of the the sailors you are racing against are excellent. It seems that I have a couple major issues - one is that I don't have a good sense of how far I am from the starting line when I don't have a line sight (we were looking out to sea), the other has to do with getting up to speed quickly and I may be over vanging for light air accelerations.

My results today were 24 and 47 (I get to throwout the 47 combined with day 1 I have a total of 86 points which puts me in 70th place. Not good enough to make gold fleet. So I will be sailing in silver fleet for the rest of the regatta, and the best I can possibly do is to win silver fleet and finish 61st overall.

I am disappointed that I didn't qualify, but mostly that I never raced a good race with a clean start and clean lanes. I have some guidance from Luther about setting my sail up with more twist for accelerating in light air. I will experiment with that tomorrow before the start - and I think I will also try checking over my shoulder for a 'reverse' line sight. I hope to at least improve my starting abilities in an elite fleet over the next few days and post some top 5 scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment