Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Finally we have had some racing

Tuesday:

Although yesterdays forecast was for 15 knots, the beautiful breeze that was there in the morning died to nothing. We were eventually moved from our course area to one closer to shore that had more wind and we were able to get one race off in about 5 knots of wind and strong side current. I thought the right side seemed better and started at the boat but was a bit late. I was able to get a clear lane out to the right side of the course, but the left came in and I was in the back of the fleet at the windward mark. I was able to make some small gains on the downwind and next upwind by staying on the edge, and the right side was better on the second upwind. I was not too disappointed with a result in the high 20's in that kind of wind.

Today Wednesday:

We had three races today. The forecast was for squalls to move through the area, but we didn't see any squalls, just clouds and haze. The wind was pretty steady from the SE at about 6-10 knots.

Race 1: I backed out of my spot on the starting line when I was getting too close to the boat to leeward of me. I was thinking that I would back out and then go back in to the same space, but I didn't have enough time, so I ended up starting on port ducking starboard tackers. I had seen pressure up the course on the right side so heading that way was good I thought. We were just leaning out, not hiking (about 6 or 7 knots?) in chop. I got to the pressure, but the wind slowly shifted left never shifted back. The whole fleet got wound up inside of me and I rounded the windward mark in last. The breeze stayed at that new angle for the rest of the race and I was only able to pass one boat.

Race 2: I had a great start and was able to hold my lane most of the way up the beat. Yay! We were occasionally hiking (8 or 9 knots I guess?) At some point near the top of the beat I had trouble holding my lane and started dropping sideways. I'm not sure why. There were a lot of weeds on the course, so I cleared my daggerboard, but was still struggling. I think the pressure may have dropped a little. I lost at the top of the beat when everyone converges and the lanes disappear and there is no clear air. Then I lost a little bit more here and there all the way around the course. The downwind was tough and I may have zig zagged too much.

Race 3: Another good start middle boat end. In this race we were hiking on the first beat although it wasn't windy enough for the boat to feel lively. It was that slow, loaded feeling of hiking. I held my lane, was fast forward and was fifth at the windward mark. Held my spot on the reach, and only lost a few boats on the run. The second upwind was lighter, no hiking, but my boat speed was okay and there were a couple minor shifts and pressure changes that I think I played well so that I didn't lose boats on the upwind. The second downwind as I tried to defend the left side (since we round the last mark to port before reaching to the finish) a pack of boats was catching me. We were by the lee on starboard, and I was afraid they would pass me. I reached in front of them to get to the right where there was clear air, gybed to port, sailed by the lee, gybed back and sailed by the lee back to the mark and I was still ahead of all of them, including the really fast danish girl! I finished 13th and was really proud of that result in those conditions.

Unfortunatley, it is not possible to overcome results in the 30s and a BFD to make gold fleet. I am far back in the pack realizing that my boat speed upwind and downwind are still not good enough in these conditions. (Light and choppy) I think that I have improved in these conditions in the past couple years, but the people I am racing against here (and at the worlds) have improved faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment