Friday, December 12, 2014

Day 4 - Melbourne

My best day yet, 11th and 7th. The breeze started around 7 knots and built to the high teens I think. The waves never got as big as yesterday, and I discovered that I was very fast upwind. That helps me narrow down my diagnosis of mediocre upwind speed yesterday to wave technique. Here's what I think: I tend towards a bow down speed mode of upwind sailing. I think that it is well suited to a day like today with small chop and oscillating shifts. The low fast mode works well on a shifty day. Yesterday was shifty too - but the waves were big. I suspect that the low and flat mode is not as effective in big waves. I'm not totally sure why - maybe the low mode gets way too low if the waves are pushing you sideways. Isabella was fast in the waves yesterday and told me she was focused on keeping the boat balanced, and a constant angle of 'happy' heel. 

Anyway today was good - I had two good starts at a crowded end - one where I bailed out at 30 seconds and gybed around to find a spot last minute - and one where I held my spot and pulled the trigger just right to be really punched out. That race I maintained 3rd place all the way around the course until I choked at the end of the last run and let a pack of 4 boats pass me. I panicked that they were gaining and I was on the right of them, so I sailed left to be on the inside, and in doing so I think  I went sideways too much and gave up vmg. Then I went slow because I was worried about them instead of just doing my thing.

Despite that frustrating end to the race, it was really cool to do most of a race very well - particularly the starts!


1 comment: